This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Sounds good but with limits

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It must be the best tool on the market but I ran into some limits.

The structure I wanted to delete was 2516 folders deep. The name of the recursive folder is 12 characters long. Using Windows 7 (64 bits) I was not able to see more that 26 levels. Each level had some files, always the same repeated, same size, same date.

I made 6 trials:

1. The tool scanned the 2516 folders ans deleted 7474 files. Then it removed 2 folders and crashed with a message "Failed to find the first file".

2. I just clicked on the checkbox and restarted it. 4 folders were removed before crash.

3. I restarted the program and 1 folder was removed before crash.

4. I made a checkdisk and restarted my computer. I restarted the program and 185 folders were removed before crash.

5 I just clicked on the checkbox and restarted it. No folder was removed before crash.

6 I restarted the program. No folder was removed before crash.

I suppose I'll need to restart the computer with a new checkdisk.

The log of the program says : error 5 Accès refusé <- in French. My system is Windows 7 (64 bit) French.

In the documentation, I'd like to have move information on the issues related to recursive folder structure like that. It sounds like Windows is unable to manage it with some tools like Explorer or a classic command line del *.* /s. What is done by indexer and defrag programs? What is reported by the property windows?

I appreciate you work and I'm happy to have finally a tool that can make something with this problem for free.

Cheers

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Finally, I succeeded after 25 trials. I suspect a problem with Windows file utilities, like indexing. I stopped all my programs and DeepRemove worked better.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Domroy,

Thanks for the pointer!!

Indeed!! obviously, Windows Indexing services and search are almost always on and they react to any file event in the file system.

I'll add a note about stopping those services before attempting a deeply recursive removal of files.

Again, thanks for your valuable input.

Best regards,

JuanPablo Jofre

Issaquah, WA